Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The End of Summer

Well folks, it's almost time for this birder to return to school. The final report's been written, scientific poster produced and everything's been neatly wrapped up. It truly has been a fulfilling year of new learning, new experiences, new acquaintances, new understandings, new perspectives and new passions. Though all good things must come to an end.

How do I say goodbye to my closest friends from 2010? Those wonderfully majestic of creatures who captivated me and kept me company throughout hundreds of otherwise solitary hours in the field. I can't but help to keep tabs on these birds who were such a part of my life. My eyes are always on the alert for an upwards spiral or lazy quartering glide to take me into the avian world once again. Although I've been a birder for as long as I can remember, I know one thing for certain; harrier-searching is engraved in me forever.

However, an ending equals a beginning. My young charges this year will be subjected to wonders of the natural world in all their intricate glory; I hope they, like me, find excitement and awe in what they discover. But in the here and now, a classroom awaits desperate attention; there's furniture to place, many a box to unpack, things to stick on walls, documents to draft, activities to prepare.

I'd like to extend a HUGE thank you to all those who have supported, encouraged and helped me along the way; you made my work just that much easier. Keep up the bird watching!!

Arohanui,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment